Saturday, September 1, 2012

The County Fair



We took our annual trip to the Chesterfield County Fair on Friday night.  It was like a trip for us this year since we didn't live 5 minutes from it anymore. If there is one thing my kids remember from year to year...it is the fair.  We got there a little later than we expected, but still had a good time.

When we got there Kristen spotted the bouncy castle and then the weird bouncy ride thing beside it.  I have no idea what it is called, but you get harnessed up and attached to two poles and get to jump on a mini circular bouncy mat that is inflated. That is what she picked out to do first. We paid our money for both girls and waited in line.  I had some serious doubts as to whether or not they would actually do it, but it was the fair and we wouldn't know until they tried.  So I walked Lauren to her little bouncy thing giving her a pep talk along the way.  When we got there she was having no part of any of it.  She was not going to put that harness on.  So, we went back to the attendant, got our money back and then paid the money to get a ticket to the bouncy castle.  At this point Kristen had been harnessed, put on the bouncy circle and attached to the poles and was crying.  She realized she didn't want to do it either.  So, we got her unharnessed and got our money back and paid for a bouncy castle ticket.  We go to the bouncy house and get their shoes off and then Kristen says she is scared.  Really?  Is this how the night was going to go?  Well, then Lauren doesn't want to go in because Kristen isn't going in.  The girl at the bouncy castle said we could go get our money back.  By this time I was sick of waiting in line to get my money back, so I asked if we could just hold on to the tickets and come back later when they had time to adjust to all the fun-ness the fair had to offer.

  Kristen realizing it looked like fun, but only from a distance.


Next we went to get their faces painted.  I mean, nothing to be scared of there...that is if you like clowns with big shoes.  Lauren knew before getting to the tent that she didn't want her face painted, but Kristen was really looking forward to it.  I knew she would pick out the same blue butterfly from last year and she didn't disappoint.  While we were standing in line the little girl behind us picked out the exact same thing and was showing her mom what she wanted.  My very nosy 5 year old was all up in their convo, not that it was hard not to be.  The lady was a very loud and vocal mother.  So the mother says. "That is just too much stuff around your eyes."  I know I mentioned she was loud, but she was actually really loud and laughed after EVERYTHING she said.  I guess she thought she was just too funny.  The little girl kept insisting that was the one she really wanted and after the mother kept giving every excuse she could think of she finally settle on the "It's just too dangerous.  It will get in your eyes and burn"...laugh, laugh, laugh....because something getting in your daughters eyes and burning is just sooo hilarious.  Well, that is all Kristen needed.  She burst into tears and frantically says she doesn't want to get her face painted because it is dangerous.  Gee thanks for spoiling face painting for my child!  While I was trying to get Kristen calmed down apparently Dallas was crying.  When I look up the girl in front of us was leaned over the stroller trying to undo his buckle.  Now Momma Bear Michelle kicked in and I very politely yelled, "What are you doing!"  To which the young girl of eight says, "Oh, I'll hold him.  I am really good with babies."  What?!?  You are eight years old?  So, in order to avoid any other disasters, we got out of line and the girls decided to just get a balloon instead.  To the rides we went.  I have to add that along the way Kristen spotted a pink fuzzy blinking cowgirl hat.  Every 5 year old's dream!  Who cares about the rides, cotton candy or anything else.  She wanted that hat and that is all she asked for.

I thought it would be good to start with the Merry-Go-Round.  The least scary ride at the fair.  There were infants and grandparents on this ride!  Well, Kristen was scared of the Merry-Go-Round.  At this point I really needed someone to remind me why we paid to come to the fair.  Lauren reluctantly got on and after she got to going she realized she liked rides.  Kristen spent the whole time asking when we were going to get her pink fuzzy blinking cowgirl hat (big sigh). 



We then went to the spinning bears and Kristen and Lauren got on with Papaw and another little boy.  He looked like a spinner...I could see his need to turn that wheel gleaming in his eyes.  Panic set in as they closed them all up in the big purple bear.  What kind of mother am I to let Kristen's first ride of the season be one that was so scary.  It had disaster written all over it.  I mean, this is a girl afraid of Merry-Go-Rounds, bouncy houses and face painting....all the things little kids look forward to and now she is in a spinning bear.  I listened as closely as I could for the sound of crying and surprisingly...there wasn't any.  Now, the girls had this look of panic and indecision on their face, but they weren't crying.  Whew!  Of course, the first question after getting off of the spinning bears was "When are we going to get my pink fuzzy blinking cowgirl hat?"



The girls ended up riding all of the kiddie rides there and to be consistent Kristen asked after every ride when she was going to get her pink fuzzy blinking cowgirl hat.  We were going to ride the Ferris Wheel as a family, but the girls decided to bail on us at the last minute and ride with Aunt Do and Uncle Earl, which was probably best.  I don't like the Ferris Wheel, actually I despise the Ferris Wheel.  I can go 0-60 on any roller coaster in 3 seconds, go down hills, through corkscrews and loops...but please don't make me get on a Ferris Wheel (especially a double Ferris Wheel).  Every year I look at it and think it doesn't look bad, but I have come to the conclusion what the issues are.  It goes too slow, at some point I can't see the ride and it keeps going around and around in a circle.  I get very disoriented and this year was no different than any others.  But I survived the Ferris Wheel!  We ended the night up with Kristen actually getting into the bouncy house and having a blast (after she got her pink fuzzy blinking cowgirl hat).  Lauren was just tired and was asleep by the time we got to the car.   




 

1 comment:

  1. Well Michelle I do believe you just made a boat load of memories. LOL what an experience.
    Cathy Field

    ReplyDelete