Tuesday, September 11, 2012

4 Year Check Up



Today I took Lauren for her 4 year check up.  Going into this appointment I was determined not to worry about her weight gain.  Oh the woes of gaining weight!  If I only had that problem! 

I knew she had gotten bigger, I just wasn't sure she had gained weight.  At the beginning of the summer she was in a size 6 shoe and two months later we were having to pull out the size 7.  She has gotten a lot taller and is now in a size 3T...Wohooo!

Well, my determination not to worry over her weight gain only lasted until she stepped on the scale.  Literally, my heart started beating faster and I started having hot flashes.  It was then I realized I will always be conscious of her weight.  It is just a way of life...something I have spent the last 4 years trying so hard to succeed at.

So, drum roll please............she weighs 25 pounds!  (sigh...but not of relief)

I was so disappointed...bummed out...depressed!  I had prayed all week that she would continue to be in her 2% curve and then Doc L came in and showed me her marks on the growth chart.  On the height chart she had moved from the 5% to the 20% (little sigh of relief).  On the weight chart she had dropped and was still not on the normal child chart.  However, combined she sat perfectly in the 2% curve.  Praise God! (BIG sigh of relief)  Doc L wasn't concerned about her weight gain or lack there of.  She said it was normal for a child to grow in height and not gain that much in weight and as long as she stays in her 2% curve or better she was happy...and so am I. She ended up getting two shots and Kristen asked before the shots if she was going to cry because she was a baby and not big like her.  Lauren looked at her and said "No, I'm and adult!"  I feel bad for little Lauren because her leg is sore and she is walking like a penguin.  I gave her some Tylenol, so hopefully by tomorrow she will feel better.


While waiting to be called back I met a micro-preemie mom in the waiting room.  As soon as I started talking to her I knew God put me there for a reason.  You see, I had switched my appointment because it would cause me to miss the first airing of the new Katie Couric show.  I know...so ridiculous!  I even thought that while I was rescheduling, but I just couldn't miss Jessica Simpson's big reveal.  Well, I realized that what seemed like a ridiculous reason to me was a big reason to God.  I have to say this mother looked really good and refreshed and it wasn't until I was talking to her that I realized she needed a little encouragement.  Preemies are very overwhelming and I can't imagine a preemie being your first child.  She was really happy and somewhat relieved to see what life would be like when you fast forward 4 years. Well, minus two kids.  She said she couldn't wait until her baby was 4 so she would know he would be alright.  I fully understood that, especially with Lauren's brain hemorrhages.  I just wanted to know what the outcome would be and God taught me a big lesson in patience.  I hope in some way she is feeling a little better today and I will be praying for her as she begins her journey with a micro-preemie at home.  I am so thankful we have made it to 4!



No comments:

Post a Comment