Monday, August 16, 2010

ENT Check-up

So this week is going to be a very busy week for us. Lauren has 3 doctors appointments, occupational therapy. On top of that I have lots to do to get ready for the BIG party on Saturday. Grocery shopping, house cleaning, cake baking and decorating and throw in Wednesday night prayer meeting at church along with a dinner at church tonight, laundry and trying to get in a few hours of work. Whew! I get tired just thinking about it. All I can do is set goals for each day and hope to have them all accomplished by the time I go to bed.

Our first doctors appointment of the week was with Dr. Johnson, Lauren's Ear, Nose and Throat doctor. I had thought prior to taking her that this appointment might just be a waste of time. We knew her vocal cord was paralyzed. We knew surgery could be done but not for several more years and other than getting him to look at her upper lip frenulum, I thought there really wasn't much point in going and seeing him. For some reason (a God reason) I kept the appointment. When the doctor was checking her, of course Lauren was crying. He said that he wanted to check her vocal cords again, because she seemed to sound a lot better than last time. When she went last time she would only make a little noise when she started crying, after that she was crying her eyes out but you couldn't hear anything. God just amazes me. How undeserving we are of such blessings and He still keeps blessing my family immensely. I can't thank Him enough. The doctor said that Lauren's vocal cord was still paralyzed, but that her other vocal cord was overcompensating and actually going all the way across and bouncing off of the paralyzed one. While he has seen this, he doesn't see it very often. He said that as her laraynx grows, her sound will become clearer and as long as that one vocal cord keeps overcompensating there will be no need for the surgery when she gets older. PRAISE GOD!! He did check her upper lip frenulum and said that since it isn't causing her any problems he didn't see any need for doing anything right now. If it was causing any sort of problems with feeding he would. He said it would be something that would be done when she got older and mostly for cosmetic purposes. I already figured this, because my peditrician had said much of the same. It isn't bothering her and even if we were given the option of doing it, I don't know if we would have.

Tomorrow we see Dr. Monasterio, her developmental doctor. We should be released from his services tomorrow since she is walking.

No comments:

Post a Comment