Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Proud Momma Moment

Yesterday Lauren actually made me cry while doing our bible lesson.  This doesn't happen very often...actually it has never happened.  I was just so proud of her that I couldn't contain myself.  I'll give you a little background so you will know just how special it was.  Even though Lauren has made a lot of progress over the years she is still a little behind.  While she has surprised us with her progress and hit milestones we never thought she would; her overall development is not where it should be.  I have been trying to encourage her to stay in the lines while coloring.  She is just now starting to develop some control over her pencil/crayon. 

On Tuesday we were doing a review of our bible lessons.  We were talking about creation and I had the girls draw pictures in order to help me re-tell the story.  I gave Kristen the harder pictures and pretty much was giving Lauren the pictures where scribbles would be acceptable. Here was our conversation prior to the picture drawing.

Me: So, in the beginning God said let there be light.  What do you think that looked like?
Lauren: Bright
Me: Can you draw me a picture of what you think the light looked like?
Lauren: Yeah, Yeah
Me: What color crayon do you think you should use?
Lauren: Orange (we did end up using a yellow one)
Me: Draw me a picture of the light God created

While I was talking to Kristen about what she would be drawing, I glanced over at Lauren and she was concentrating very hard and very slowly drawing a sun.  She has NEVER drew anything without help.  This was the first time and she was actually, all on her own, drawing the most beautiful little sun I have ever seen. Of course, Kristen then asked if I was going to cry because her earth was so pretty.  I said yes.  I was crying because both of them made such beautiful pictures.



Today I was really tired so my mind was not functioning as sharply as it usually does.  We were reviewing our creation memory verse and....well, here is how the conversation went.

Me: What was our verse about creation.  Genesis 1:1. God said
(I paused to let them complete it. Kristen was looking at me very confused.)
Me: Let there be
Kristen: Genesis 1:1 is In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth not God said, Let there be light.

She was right!  Another proud Momma moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment