Sunday, May 15, 2011

Fun Week

This past week has been a really fun and enjoyable week. I have made a decision to spend more quality time with Kristen and Lauren and do more fun things that they like to do. Not to mention incorporating learning into our daily lives. I have had to rearrange my schedule in order to fit everything in, including all of my housework and laundry, but things have worked out good. Kristen enjoys her school time and makes me feel good that I am actually making it fun with games and songs and crafts included in it. The big milestone is that you can ask her to write an uppercase and lower case A and she can do it all by herself without you showing her. This week we are going to be working on the letter B and she is so excited. I spent a good majority of my day yesterday planning and coming up with fun things and crafts to do. The Internet is a wonderful source of information and ideas.

This week when we were learning that A is for alligators I had a really neat snack planned. The night before I made rice crispy treats with frosted flakes instead of rice krispies and put green food coloring in it. If I could imagine what alligator skin looked like that would have been it. I just knew this was going to be a big hit. When I announced after lesson at snack time that we were going to be having alligator skin as a snack this was how the conversation went.

Me: "Guess what we are having for a snack today?"
Kristen: "I don't know."
Me: "Alligator skin!"
Kristen: "That's gross."
Lauren: "Yay!" (while clapping)
Me: "It's not really alligator skin. It is cereal and marshmallows that mommy made green."
(Once I cut the snack and gave it to them)
Kristen: "It's green." (with an I can't believe this look on her face)
Me: "I know, alligators are green so their skin is going to be green."
Kristen: "I don't like green. I only like strawberry."
Me: "Well, sorry, alligators aren't strawberry."
(Lauren is REALLY enjoying her alligator skin)
Kristen: "I'm not eating it."
Me: "Okay, but this is the only snack you will be getting. You will have to wait until lunch to eat."
Kristen: "I'll try it." (Takes the smallest bite known to man)
Kristen: "I don't like it."
Me: "That's fine. You don't have to eat it."
Kristen: "What else can I have."
Me: "Nothing"
Then she eats half of her alligator skin.




Thursday' snack was a better hit. I made acorns out of mini vanilla wafers, peanut butter and hershey's kisses. They were so cute. Both girls ate them all gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment