Sunday, October 27, 2013

It got better...

This week started off kinda rough.  We all had runny noses or stuffed up noses, thanks to the weather change.  Our sinus' were very confused.  We ended up leaving church early last Sunday because Kristen wasn't feeling too well.  Then Sunday night turned into a long night because Lauren was constipated (I know...TMI, but hey....it's our life and it's real). 

Lauren has suffered from constipation pretty much since birth (she is probably going to kill me when she is older and reads this).  She has been on milk of magnesia since her first visit to the pediatrician.  At her last check-up I talked with the doctor about her constipation.  My theory was that her body has gotten dependent on the milk of mag in order to go to the bathroom.  She agreed and wanted to switch her to Miralax. She didn't think Miralax would mess with her electrolytes (whatever those are) as much and the good news was that our insurance would cover it as a prescription.  I wanted to do a trial run to see if we could get her body going to the bathroom on it's own.  It was going pretty good...not ideal, but at least she was moving things without help.  Then Sunday night came.  After two agonizing hours in the bathroom and many efforts to speed things along, she finally fell asleep on the throne.  Poor girl.  I cried...she cried.  It was just horrible.  She finally went to the bathroom and is now on Miralax daily because that was just so emotionally draining on the both of us.  We are going to try some alternatives to her diet, but I am so glad that is over and I hope it never happens again.

Dallas lovin on Lauren after a rough night.  These two are best buds.


At some point during the bathroom drama Kristen tells me that her "bump" on her tooth is back.  To say I was frustrated would be an understatement.  I'll give you a little background.  Back in August I took Kristen and Lauren in for a cleaning.  Kristen had two cavities, but they were small cavities.  They did an x-ray to see if she was close to loosing these two teeth (they were molars), but she wasn't.  I had two options....I could leave it and see what they did.  If they got worse, filling them could require some sort of sedation.  Or I could go ahead and get them filled and they would be able to do it with very little to no numbing.  I decided to go ahead and get them filled since it would be a while until she lost the teeth.  The dental hygienist said I made the right choice, however I second guess this.  We made the follow up appointment and I took her back to get it filled.  She complained about the tooth afterwards and we ended up going back in to see the dentist two days later.  I thought, as well as the dentist, that her tooth was too high because she just complained it felt weird.  You know how your tooth feels really big and uneven after having it filled.  Well, they filed it down and she said it felt better and off we went.  Then over Labor Day weekend, yep of course it would happen on a holiday weekend, she started complaining about her tooth again and said there was a bump on it.  I didn't know what an abscess looked like or even what it was.  I had heard of them, but never had one. She started running a fever and felt pretty lousy and thankfully someone mentioned abscess to me. After I consulted google (thank you world wide web), I self diagnosed her with an abscess...and I was right.  I called the dentist and we started her on antibiotics.  She was seen first thing Tuesday morning and they took another x-ray, just of that tooth.  It wasn't ready to come out and they didn't want to pull it because the root system on the tooth coming in wasn't developed enough.  They did a root canal, and she did wonderful.  Over the next month she never complained about her tooth hurting, but that bump would come and go.  Then it got really big and I finally called and they said to bring her back in.  They wanted to try to save the tooth and cleaned it out again.  Well, then the bump came back and on Monday we went back in to the dentist to have that tooth pulled.  They numbed her as much as they could, but it still hurt when they pulled it.  I felt so bad for her and so did the dentist.  She did great and thanks to Meme and Papaw, the tooth fairy brought her $10, which she said the tooth fairy signed (not really, someone had written $500 on it and she assumed it was the tooth fairies signature.  I didn't tell her any different because she was so excited). 



She deserved it and guess what she bought with her money....another stuffed animal.



I had to buy Lauren something, so she wanted a little camera and she has been following me around taking pictures like a paparazzi.



So, our week started off a bit rocky, but it got better.  School went a lot better this week. 



We did a couple of projects for science and they actually worked!  We talked about what an eclipse was and recreated it using a flashlight and two balls. 



We also made a pinhole sun viewing box.  Although our sun was hidden behind trees, we did get to see it in the box, we just had to walk out to the road to do it.  I am sure the people driving by were wondering why we were looking into a box.  We are probably now officially known as "that crazy family".


That's our sun...that little bright dot.

The girls went to a Girl Scout campfire (no pictures because I didn't bring my camera). They roasted hot dogs (actually I did the roasting and they were still cold) and made s'mores.  We left before the campfire songs because I had inhaled enough smoke to give me a headache and all I wanted to do was go home and shower.  I know...that was very selfish of me. 

One of the best things that happened this week....



Not this, but I had to include a picture of Dallas and his mischief.  Excuse Lauren in the background on the toilet.  I guess Dallas figured he would entertain her a little since it was going to be a long night.

This is one of the best things that happened this week....



We got itty bitty eggs from our chickens.

No comments:

Post a Comment