Friday, April 5, 2013

Weekly Wrap-Up: Watchdogs


Set a guard over my mouth, O Lord;
keep watch over the door of my lips.
Psalm 141:3
 
 
This week our bible lesson was about being watchdogs over our mouth.  We talked about how we should watch what we say so we don't sin with our tongues.  The girls became a member of the watchdog group, which is not a real group, but a made up one for the purpose of the bible lesson.  However, they felt very important when they joined the group and got their membership cards. Anyways, the watchdog motto is: I will watch my ways and control what I say. 
 

 
 
And, me being the best mom in the world (not really), gave us all a lesson when I said something that hurt Lauren's feelings.  I was not trying to be mean, but I said it without thinking and Kristen's uncontrollable laughing was probably what really hurt her feelings, but in the end the lesson became real.  Whether or not we say something intending to hurt feelings, sometimes it just does, so we need to be careful of what we say.  
 
Kristen is a little over halfway through her first math workbook.  I actually had to get out my teacher's guide this week.  I know...can you believe it.  It just didn't seem like what they were asking should be so simple, but it was.  It was intended to be the foundation to build on future lessons.  I have been very pleased with the Horizon's math program.  Although I have not really needed to reference the teacher's guide, it does have some great teaching activities for students who are struggling.  I will probably have to reference it more when Lauren starts, but who knows.  She might just blow us all away. 
 
Kristen's reading is coming along nicely.  This week she actually said that she can hear the words in the sounds.  She is doing much better with sounding things out.  Her sounds were very disconnected from each other.  If she was sounding out pat she would emphasize each letter sound with such force and would break between each sound, so it really wasn't flowing for her.  This week she has done much better sounding words out.  Although tomorrow is Saturday, I am going to work on reading with her in hopes that we can finish Lesson 5 and start our week reviewing and reading one of the actual books that come with the Hooked on Phonics program.  I have also been very pleased with this program too. 
 
Lauren is doing good with her letter sounds.  We are working on G and her chicka chicka boom boom tree is filling up. I think we are going to start working on her numbers next week so she will be ready for the math program come September.  
 
This week I tried a couple of new things.  First, I made homemade donuts and they came out delicious.  The recipe was very simple, but everyone loved them...even my picky Dallas.
 
 
 
I also cut Lauren's hair.  I just had both of the girls hair cut at their favorite place.  The lady who cut Kristen's hair did a great job.  She even made me comb through it to make sure I liked the length.  She listened very well to what I wanted.  But, the lady who cut Lauren's hair was a twenty something know it all.  Lauren's hair just does better when it is cut shorter.  I wanted it chin length and cut in a bob.  Well, she was too busy telling me all of the reasons why I didn't want to cut it that way that she really wasn't listening.  The place was packed and by the time she finished it looked longer than I wanted.  She told me once it dried it would be shorter.  I know I am not a hair stylist, but I have had my hair cut a few times over my 30 plus years to know that it wasn't cut how I wanted it.  Anyways, Dallas was over sitting in his stroller and I was over picking up the yogurt bites that kept falling to the floor because eating was the only way to make him content during the 30 minutes, that I just paid and left.  The more I looked at her hair the more I wanted to fix it.  So, thanks to YouTube I got out my scissors and 45 minutes later (I know that's a long time) her hair was cut.



I think it was harder on Lauren than me.  I wish I had counted how many times I told her to sit still.  I am sure it was a record, but she did great and it turned out better than I thought it would.  We will be going back to get Dallas's first hair cut.  They do a picture, save some hair and write up a little paragraph naming everyone who was with them.  We got them for the girls, so we will get one for him, but after that I think I will be the hair stylist in our house.  It will save money and I am all for saving money.


No comments:

Post a Comment