Saturday, November 19, 2011

Button GONE


(This is my bandage job...I AM NOT AN EXPERT as you can see, but at least it did stay on all night long. Kristen was impressed because she said it looked like a cross.)

Yesterday I took Lauren to her appointment to get her button taken out. I wasn't 100% sure they were taking it out. It just depended on how it looked and if the hole was small enough. She was in the smallest Mic-KEY button they have, so I was very optimistic. The doctor she saw was the doctor everyone recommended at the feeding clinic at Children's Hospital, but had left when we started going there. She was very nice and I really liked her. She was very personable and came in to actually talk to us and have Lauren warm up to her a little bit before actually taking the button out. Lauren did so good and barely cried at all. Of course it wasn't an overly painful experience, but at least she felt comfortable enough with the situation to not be upset. She has to take prevacid for a month to cut down on stomach acid and I have to change the bandage twice a day. Right now she has to eat small meals and not drink too much. She can have smaller more frequent meals so the food passes by the hole in her stomach so it can heal. She is doing good and I have asked her several times if it hurts and she says no. She is allowed to have baths, but I don't think I am going to immerse her in the water because just thinking about soapy dirty bath water getting into that hole gives me the heebie jeebies. So the button removal was a success, although she did wake up this morning stuttering.

No comments:

Post a Comment