Thursday, January 20, 2011

Hives!


Last week I took Lauren to the doctor. She had caught the cold that Kristen had, but was also running a fever of 103, which Kristen never had. She had an ear infection in both ears plus the cold so they gave her amoxicillin and put her on 4.5ml twice a day for 10 days. She has been prescribed this before and we have had no problems with it. Yesterday when she woke up she was covered in hives. I immediately gave her some benadryl and kept thinking about foods that she could have eaten to cause this, but couldn't think of anything out of the ordinary. I called the doctors office and left a message for the nurse to call me. I called my mom and she mentioned the amoxicillin. I hadn't given her the morning dose yet, so I held off on that giving her that until I heard back from the doctors office. Even though her hives looked horrible, Lauren was still in a very good mood. Ate breakfast and played like she usually does, so I knew they weren't causing her any discomfort or breathing issues. She was scheduled to get her RSV shot yesterday, so I called and talked to the nurse that gives the shots. She said that it is not uncommon for anyone who has been prescribed amoxicillin or any other drug for that matter to out of the blue have an allergic reaction. You could show little signs of having a allergy to it the first few times you take it, but overlook it and then the more you are exposed to something you are allergic to the worse it gets. She said to not use the amoxicillin anymore and Lauren would not be able to get her shot because if she does have a reaction to the synagis shot they wouldn't know because she already has hives. I gave her benadryl throughout the day and most of the hives got better. Well, this morning when she woke up she is cover in little hives that look almost like chicken pox. I spoke to one nurse that said to make an appointment, which I did. Paul's cousins little boy currently has hives caused my amoxicillin (isn't that ironic) and she said that his got worse the second day. I called back to cancel my appointment and asked to talk to her synagis nurse. She said that this is common. The amoxicillin is not out of her system yet. They do tend to take on the resemblance of chicken pox, but they are not. It is a rash and it would take about a week to fully go away. While the drug is still in her system new rashes will pop up and to keep giving her the benadryl. Also, to make sure her other doctors know not to prescribe her any pinacillin drugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment