Thursday, May 6, 2010

The Culprit



For the past five mornings I have heard the beep of Lauren's feeding pump, gone downstairs to shut it off and get her up for the day, only to find that her tube had come apart at some point after 2:00am. The first night I thought "How could that happen!" She has what they call an extension that hooks to her MIC-Key button and then the feeding tube hooks into the extension. This is held pretty tightly in place and would need to be pulled out to get it loose. It wouldn't just fall out. I usually tuck the tube under her Dani Sling (which holds her in place since her bed needs to be elevated due to her acid reflux). Even though it is tucked under the Dani Sling, I still leave plenty of slack so she can move around. When I woke up the second morning to find the same mess and a very wet child, I thought...could Lauren be pulling this out. The answer is YES! Apparently, when she wakes up, she plays with her tubing and just pulls it loose, so the remainder of her morning feed just pumps out of the machine right into her bed. Now, this is formula so imagine the stinky mess this causes, not to mention whatever is in her stomach drains out of that tube too. So, last night I ended up taping the feeding tube into the extension and that seemed to do the trick. I just hope one day she doesn't learn how to take the tape off. She is just too cute to be so messy.

No comments:

Post a Comment