Monday, August 25, 2014

Our first day back

It is hard to believe that summer is gone and school has started back...but I am very happy to be back in the school routine. I was surprised this morning when I had two eager girls wanting to get the school day started.


Kristen
Grade: 2nd
Favorite Color: Purple
Favorite Television Show: Wild Kratts
Favorite toy: Barbies
What I want to be when I grow up: Librarian



Lauren
Grade: Kindergarten
Favorite color: Pink
Favorite television show: Doc McStuffin
Favorite toy: Doc McStuffin's house
What I want to be when I grow up: Work at Walmart


So Lauren's future employment makes me chuckle. I don't think she really understood the question, but Walmart was the first thing to come to mind. 

Our school day started out a little later than I would have liked, but we were still finished by lunchtime. We started with bible and a craft. My kids love doing crafts.


Our bible story was on the beginning of creation. Day one God created light and separated it from darkness. You can't get too creative with that, but here are the finished crafts.



Most of Kristen's subjects were a review from last year. 


She told me that second grade was so easy. I told her it was just the beginning and she would be learning new things eventually. We did start a new spelling program, so hopefully this one will be better than the one we did last year. Or, more accurately speaking, the one we didn't complete last year. 



Lauren has all subjects, like Kristen, except spelling. This is a big difference from just doing reading, math and bible. She did really well today. We are starting math over from the beginning. She can use the extra practice.



She did really well in her reading review, and I decided to start that over as well. She can use extra practice in this too. 


I was very happy when I pulled out our book for today and Kristen said she could read it to us and she did!


She has come so far with her reading. I am so proud of her and very happy that she enjoys reading...just like her Momma.

Kristen wanted school to be fun, so I am really trying to make it fun...although it is school. I did incorporate a goody basket that they will get to choose from if we have good weeks...and occasionally exceptional days. This is a good motivator....for now. 



School day #1=Success


No comments:

Post a Comment